Hecate Statue Project

While not part of the 30 Days project, I thought I'd keep this blog active with other things that I do in her honor.   Click here to see the 30 Days of Devotion to the Goddess Hecate




This is a project I did recently making a Hecate devotional center piece.  This will go in my shop as part of my shrine to the Goddess.


  1. Supplies
  2. Glue gun
  3. Glue sticks
  4. Rubber Bands
  5. Wooden Dowel
  6. Cheesecloth
  7. Primer
  8. Hemp
  9. Three zip ties
  10. Stone fleck paint
  11. Wood for base
  12. Decorations - I used Christmas light bulbs to serve as torches, a small key charm, a dagger that I carved from a match stick, a coil of rope that I made from some hemp string.  I then picked up a small brass candle stick to act as a chalice, a boot knife and a large key.
  13. Images - I used license free images from Wikicommons




Start by removing all the clothes, and put the hair up in a pony tail.   Then take scissors and cut off the hair bluntly just past the rubber band.  Using a glue gun, carefully cover the pony tail and the head with the melted glue.  As it cools I used my fingers to shape the hair into a Grecian style hairdo.  Something that may be found on a museum statue.

Next I took the cheesecloth and wrapped it around the barbies in a similar Grecian style.  I used a bit of braided hemp to tie round the waist.  Next I take a zip tie through the belt and attach them to a dowel. I attached all three dolls to the dowel to replicate Hecate in her tri-form. I left the dowel out a bit at the base so I could use it to mount the statue to the box for decoration and to the stand at the end of the project.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
For the small dagger in one of the forms hands, I took a large fireplace match and carved a small handle space in it and shaped the point for the knife edge.  For the rope, I just coiled the string around my fingers to make it look like a big bunch of rope.  The charm didn't require any work.  I simply used a bit of hot glue on each.   After I was happy with the appears of the look,  I sprayed the entire statue with primer.  After the primer dries I start layering the stone fleck paint onto the figure.  I ended up doing about 3-4 coats of the stone paint including the base.



While the paint dries I started working on the display case.  Display cases can be pretty pricey.  With three dolls together I needed one that was over 12 inches tall and over nine inches wide.  A case that holds a football was 59.00 at Michael's.  After weighing a few options I decided to use a 10 gallon fish tank, which only cost about 12.00 brand new.  The tank came with a card board cover on the top.  I used that to create a back for the case.

For the background, I thought that in order to see all three of the sides, it made sense to put a mirror on the back.  I downloaded some free images and printed them out in different sizes.  Using watered down white school glue I made a decoupage of the images and attached the mirror to the center.  It takes about 24 hours to dry completely.

After that was complete I placed the wood block into the bottom (which is really the side, the opening would be on the back) of the aquarium.  I applied a bit of epoxy into a hole drilled in the center and put the dowel into the block.  After she dried, I added the decoration on the base of the block and attached the back.

I think it turned out pretty good.


This is her complete.  I really love the way the back turned out.


Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson



Chalice, background and key.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

 Key and Dagger.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
 Rope.
Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson







No comments