The Goddess Returns

I find myself today in a place I didn't think I would be again.   My connection to the magical world had drifted over the past two years. I felt myself falling into a lack of magic. I still honored the phases and tried to be outdoors my I was not aware just how much my regular ritual was missing from my life. 

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson


I participated in Rite of her Sacred Fires this past full moon and found myself energized and ready to take on the world. Something I had not felt in a quite a while. I was in a living situation that prevented me from participating in ritual regularly. Now back in my space down by the river, I'm able to express those feelings again. 

I've been working on my health. Focusing more on healing through a holistic approach. Spending time each morning in meditation and opening my mind to connect with the energies of our world. I have started reconnecting with Hecate as I felt our relationship was strained.  She was not gone. She was waiting for me to catch up. I was close to her, close enough to feel the delicate touch of her robes as they feathered around her in the moonlight, but still, far.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson


I spent a lot of time thinking about where I wanted to go.  I felt myself moving towards atheism in my belief that we were not created by intelligent design but more so by an ever changing natural environment around us.  The waters of world, too, ebb and flow with the energies that are our goddess.  I took a break from some commitments that I had related to Hecate and I believe that break actually allowed me to reconnect with her.  It became less of a chore and returned to the wonderful connection I had prior.



I've begun work on my dream of an Oracle deck for Hecate, that is 10 years in the making. I'm focused now with a fury that resembles Brimo and a curiosity that call to Hecate as no other. This re-dedication of sorts has opened my eyes to the places in my practices where I allowed others to dictate my process. I have returned to the point where I feel most comfortable and am now able to incorporate my daily practice back with ease and grace.

As the this month moves forward and I continue with this exploration I intend to focus more on my dedication to learn more and share that information far and wide. I plan to add more content on By Her Fires - my blog dedicate specifically to Hecate and her mysteries.

As we move throughout the remainder of this year, I pledge to spend more time focusing on my studies and removing those things that do not bring me joy.  For a long time, I thought it was the work related to the goddess that was causing issues.  I know now, it was not. I look forward to this new approach to magic and witchcraft.  And while some would still call me an atheist as, I do not believe in the literal interpretations of gods and goddesses I do believe in the energy that surrounds them. I do believe in the growing process one takes by adopting a set of life virtues and living in those virtues.  Be them related to a god or a pomegranate.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson


When I was a child I attended a southern baptist church and they had an altar at the front with the words, "Do this in remembrance of me". (1 Corinthians 11:23-25) I used to wonder what it meant. I believe I know now. While not following this specific doctrine, I can see how using a reminder that we should be good to each other makes sense. And if it takes some words on an altar, writing on a box, lighting a candle daily, do what is good and what brings you joy in remembrance of the thing that most inspires you. This can be inside or outside a religious context. 

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson


The idea here, is to be who you are, while spreading some understanding around the world. I purposely did not say spreading positive vibes.  Looking around at the world, we know that things are just not positive right now. We are struggling in the United States as a nation. We're struggling as a people unable to come together due to racial divides.  Our world is suffering from sea to sea and our mother earth is dying. There is so much negative and I too, want to say "Be Positive!".   Instead, I ask you to be understanding. Be caring. Be compassion.  Be courageous. Be the change you want to see in this world.

I'm starting today.  Can you?

No comments