Offerings - Historical and UPG

In ancient times offerings to the Goddess Hecate included animal sacrifices.  Black bulls, sheep and dogs were often killed and presented to her.

My offerings to the Goddess are slightly different.  My altar consists of small bowls for me to add different elements.  Generally I'll have garlic bulbs, leeks and honey as a standard offering.


Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
Offering Bowls - Honey, Mushroom & Garlic


Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
Fertility & House Cleaning


If there is a special intent, such as Rites of Her Sacred Fires or if I'm doing magical work, I'll include a small bowl for blood.(1)

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
Rite of Her Sacred Fires

Though controversial the offering of blood is something that many provide to their deity.  In my discussions around the Goddess Hecate, I've learned that some even offer menstrual blood to her.  In my workings I use a sterile lancet and prick my finger to produce a drop of blood.

Sometimes the blood will be dripped into a jar with other offerings or applied to a plate or surface as a
sigil.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
Healing Ritual with Blood Offering

Working with offerings should be something that is very personal.  I tend to use what I have on hand.  If I'm working on Hecate's Supper, I might prepare a meal to take out to the crossroads along with my floor sweepings.  When the weather is bad, I tend to keep my offerings of fresh fruits to provide a bit of food for the wild life around me.

I believe that regardless of the actual offering, the intent is the key.  Give of yourself.  The rest will work itself out.


(1) This blog in no way endorses the offering of blood for any reason.  This is a practice that should be undergone with the utmost respect and care to avoid illness and injury.

No comments