Places Associated with this Deity and Their Worship

Hecate has dominion over the Heaven, Earth and Sea.  Some believe her right to reign over the Heavens Earth and Seas was granted by Zeus for her assistance during the Titan war.  Others say, Hecate is the only child of Titanes Perses and Asteria, who gifted to her the powers over these areas. 

She is known to have dominion over the liminal spaces.  Those spaces of transitions and passages.  She walks the night guiding those who have passed from the world of the living to the world of the dead. 
Hecate is associated with these borders, walls crossroads and spaces between.  Hekate Enodia, means “on the way”.  Hekate Propylaia means “before the gate”.

Aristophanes, Wasps 804 ff :"I have heard it foretold, that one day the Athenians would dispense justice in their own houses, that each citizen would have himself a little tribunal constructed in his porch similar to the altars of Hekate (Hekataion), and that there would be such before every door."[N.B. Hekataion were statues or chapels of Hekate, placed at the entrance of houses.] - http://www.theoi.com/Cult/HekateCult.html

As part of my work with the Goddess I created two indoor spaces and one outdoor.  The first indoor space was out by my front entrance to my house.  As I was beginning to talk with my partner about beginning the work to become a Torchbearer, he opened the door and a black snake darted into the house circled the altar in what seemed to be a message from the Goddess. 

Photo Credit - Renee Olson
Euripides, Medea 396 ff (trans. Vellacott) (Greek tragedy C5th B.C.) :"My chosen helper Hekate, who dwells in the inner chamber of my house [i.e. at the household shrine]."  -  http://www.theoi.com/Cult/HekateCult.html

Outside I have an area of pavers and torches that I can use to do outdoor rituals.  It looks out into bank just near the river.  I’m working to create a large area here where I can hold public rituals in her honor.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

No comments