Chaldean Oracles - 224

The Chaldean Oracles are a group of fragmented texts from the 2nd Century AD and are attributed to Babylonia (Chaldea).  The text refers to Hecate as the female power or Mother of all with two Fathers.  Setting Hecate as the Cosmic World Soul. 

I thought it might be a great project to look at the translated snippets of the references to Hecate in the Oracles to see how they relate to one another, to Hecate in general and our thoughts on Hecate today.


For this I decided to use the translation by Charles Stein.  Mr. Stein is an author and poet and has completed several translation as well as studies on Eleusinian subjects.  His original translation of the Chaldean Oracles can be found at the link below.

Understand that not everyone follows this particular belief in Hecate’s origins.  Some follow the more modern view of Hecate as the Crone aspect of the triple goddess construct.  I invite those with that perspective to follow this line of thought for a moment just to see where it leads. 



Translated by Charles Stein


Says Hekate:

Complete my animal image
purged as I shall instruct you:

Make a body from field rue;
ornament with delicate small beast forms
       (such as spotted lizards
            that live about the house);

Pound storax, myrrh, and frankincense
with these beasts
into a mixture

and under
a waxing moon
in the clear light of ether

finish the telestics                                                                                   [224]



These entries quote Hecate on how to create her animal image.  When I create my images of Hecate they can either be animal form or human, most often human in shape.  I also generally don't use lizards in making my statues.  I do however like the idea of a "soulstone".   The soulstone is the concept of placing a center stone in the clay figure to give it life, or a soul if you will.  It is a unique opportunity to consecrate a statue to the Goddess as well.  Adding herbs in pouches or another items to add stronger energy to a piece.

I have had several discussions with those who add their own blood to their clay mixtures when creating images of the Goddess.  To me, I don't feel that is necessary.  What are your thoughts?  Should we look at these ancient texts as directions on how we move forward in workings with her?



No comments